Today’s weather was not so good; it was cloudy and cold, and I didn’t know what to do on my day off, so I went to the Turkish shop close to my home. They have their own butcher’s shop there, and their meat has good quality. I will cook noodle soup with beef and radish.
|What we need for the soup:
- Beef knuckle (500 grams)
- Dried laurel (5 pieces)
- Star anise (2 pieces)
- Cinnamon stick (1 piece)
- Fresh ginger (3 slices)
- Dried chili (3 pieces)
- Dried mandarin peels (I always keep some mandarin peels, which I put by the window to dry. In China they are used in traditional medicine)
- White radish (half)
- Chinese spinach (1 piece)
- Herbal liquor (such as Jägermeister), 1 tablespoon
|Cooking the soup:
- Cut the beef into little chunks of 4×4 cm, cut the radish in the same size
- Fill a soup pan half full of water (1.5 liter) and bring to the boil
- When the water boils, add the beef and wait 1-2 minutes. When foam appears scoop this off with a spoon
- Then add all the other ingredients except the radish and liqueur, and boil for 10 minutes
- Lower the fire and add the liqueur. Then cook slowly for 1.5 hours
- Finally, add the radish and some salt and boil 10 minutes, then on low fire half an hour more
After you’ve added the radish to the soup, you can start preparing the noodles. Well, you know how to cook noodles, right?
When the noodles are done, put them into a bowl, keep the water. Boil the vegetables in this water a couple of minutes, done. Add the vegetables on top of the noodles into the bowl, then pour the soup over it all and serve
This soup is part of a meal with 3 dishes, together with Chinese fries and Fried dumplings. Enjoy!