Miso is a Japanese product, made from fermented rice, barley and soy beans. It is healthy as it contains many minerals and vitamins. It is used in several dishes, and today I use it to make a soup. This soup suits very well with Avocado and rice. In China, radish is a real winter vegetable. You can fry it with some meat, make pickled radish or you can make a radish cake. This is a tradition in Canton and the Hong Kong area during the Chinese New Year to serve to visitors. However the easiest way is to make a soup. Usually some beef or pig’s feet is added, and cooked for around 2 hours or more.
Today I will make another kind of soup, in the Japanese way, because it suits best with my other dish of avocado and rice, and it is also very easy and fast to make.
|What we need:
- Radish (a piece of 15 cm serves 2)
- Dried seaweed, 6×6 cm (usually in the Asian supermarket you can find two kinds of seaweed, one for making sushi and one for soup, this one is for the soup)
- Dried shrimp (you can leave them out if you don’t have any, I use them to here replace MSG or salt as it is more healthy and tasty)
- Miso paste (2 tablespoons)
|How to make it
- First soak the seaweed in hot water for 10 minutes until soft. During this time, you can prepare the rest
- Peel the radish, then cut into blocks of 4-5 cm (SEE HERE)
- Heat 800 ml of water in a cooking pot and add the shrimp and seaweed, let it boil for 10 minutes. Then add the radish and boil for 20 minutes more
- Then add the miso paste and boil for 5 minutes, that’s it (the miso paste cannot cook for too long, or it will loose all it’s healthy benefits)
- Turf off fire and let the soup sit for a couple more minutes, the radish will be more tasty then
Serve with avocado and rice